We had to put our dog, Maggie, to sleep this weekend! NOT FUN!!! This past summer Maggie got hit by a car and broke her leg and got pretty messed up on her stomach and backside. She had a cast for about 6 weeks. Her leg never really healed properly and this winter she hasn't used that leg much, sometimes not at all. We knew she was still in a lot of pain. She also had been getting "aggressive" when people come over and Brett was not home...I think she thought she was protecting us.She has tried to bite some of our neighbors and relatives...not her normal playful greeting. This Friday, my Aunt Vickie came over and Maggie had fire in her eyes. She was ready to take Aunt Vickie out. It was a good thing I knew she was coming and I went outside and got Maggie before she did anything to her, but she was ready to attack. It has been a problem for a little while and we have not known what to do...one thing we knew, we didn't want her to hurt anyone or go after a kid.
We called the vet and told him the situation and asked him what we could do and why she would be acting like this. He said sometimes after dogs get hit and have an injury it can make their hormones go out of whack and cause them to have problems with their brains. The vet thinks that is what happened to Maggie. He said the best thing was to put her to sleep or we could try giving her Prozac twice a day and see if that helped. He said sometimes that medicine will work on animals too! We didn't really like the thought of giving her medicine twice a day and not knowing if it would even work...so we chose the other option which was not easy at all!
We all had a hard time with it, but especially Conner. What an ache to a mom's heart as you watch your son tell his dog good-bye as he is sobbing. That was one of the worst things ever! He also stayed outside talking to Maggie after we went in. Brett overheard him say, "Thanks Maggie for being such a good dog. I love you!" I can't even write this without crying! You don't realize how attached you get to a dog until you have one!
We had Maggie 3 and a half years! She was a good dog and a great mouser! She loved the kids and especially loved when they got off of the bus every day! We will miss her, but Kallie summed it up best. She said Maggie is in heaven playing with Toby (that is my parents dog)! That makes it a little easier for the kids to picture that!
13 comments:
Darn it. I was pretty shocked to see this. It is really hard to understand how you can love a dog so much, but you just do!! I am so sorry. It is never an easy thing. My dog that I had growing up also had to be put to sleep. But I take comfort in knowing that I believe I will see him again. I don't think Heavenly Father would deprive us of seeing those we love again, even our pets! Just look at D & C Section 77:2 and the section description. Love you guys!!
I'm sorry. Dogs are truly a part of the family. Ken and I will have to bring Rusty over some time and let him go wild with the kids. It'll be no replacement for Maggie though. She sounds like an incredible pet.
Sorry guys. I know how hard it is. We have been through a ton of dogs. When they say all dogs go to heaven I am sure we are going to have so many we won't know what to do with them all. Sorry about Maggie!!!!
Sorry about Maggie! After you mentioned it at church we went past and it was sad to see no dog running after us. Good luck with the healing!
Devastating. We went through that five years ago. Just miserable. Shane couldn't take him to the vet so I had to. It was hard to come home to all the teary faces. They are such a part of the family aren't they? I'm so sorry.
It makes me cry to hear about Maggie too. That was the hardest thing to do with Toby. But, Kallie is right, they are playing together now. Tell Conner that Grandma loves him and I am so sorry that had to happen to Maggie. He would be sad if she bit someone though. Take care. We love you all!!!
I am so sorry to hear about Maggie. She was a pretty good dog. I feel so sad for Conner (and the rest of you), but that just breaks my heart that Conner would sit by her side and tell her how much he loved that dog. But Kallie hit it on the head I am sure she is with Toby.
It is amazing how much you can grow to love an animal. We have lost many of our loved pets growing up and it is never easy. At least Maggie is not in pain anymore. That is such a hard thing for anyone who has had that devoted pet to go through. I am sorry for your loss.
Losing a pet when you are a kid is just devastating. We had to put 2 pets down and it just breaks your heart. They really are part of the family. BIG HUGS to your kids right now from us...
I cried through this whole post! I feel for your family, but there is nothing worse than knowing how bad your kids hearts are aching! I hope your recovery is fast and you guys are in our prayers. Take care.
I was totally shocked when I saw this post! As I took Bradyn and Darin to preschool this morning I found myself looking for Maggie. I always enjoyed her greetings! I'm so sorry that you and your family had to go thru this. I love animals all kinds and I know how hard it is to lose one, especially having to watch your kids struggle with it too. I enjoyed taking Maggie to the pet show last fall. What a neat dog! You guys take care!
HaHa! Leave it up to me to do something dorky like that i always do! What I meant was Tiffany J. So you better get started!!
Sorry Tiff. Dogs are so complicated, I hope your family can heal.
Post a Comment