Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hawaii-The Middle Portion

I am back to report on more beach and warm sunny days...no not in Idaho, but in Hawaii!  It is hard to believe we have already been back for two weeks!  It kind of feels like it was a dream, oh, but a wonderful dream!  To answer a few questions that people have asked here are the answers...
#1.  Our tans-Brett and I cheated and had a spray tan done!  Our friend has a machine and she let us borrow it and we used it so we weren't quite so white when basking in the sun!  We had never had one before now, but it worked out pretty well for the most part!  I think we were darker when we got there than when we came home!
#2.  My cousin asked why Brett was wearing a Sugar City Diggers shirt in the last post!  No, he is not a digger...he is a cougar!  But his bosses are and they love to tease each other!  One time they gave them that shirt when Sugar beat South...so he wears it sometimes.  For a long time his scouts didn't believe that he went to South to high school!  They thought he graduated as a digger!  (No offense to you diggers!)
#3.  Brett asked if I was putting swimsuit pics on of him? (I think since our little "escapade" for our anniversary he gets a little nervous about what I put on the blog!)  I told him I would be very careful about what I put on the blog for EVERYONE to see and that I would use good judgement! :)  I can't remember if there were any other questions, so here goes the "middle" portion of our trip!
Sunday morning we found a ward to attend Sacrament Meeting in.  It was a very welcoming ward.  It was fast and testimony meeting so every  time someone got up to bear their testimony they greeted everyone with "Aloha" and we all said "Aloha" back!  The rest of the day we took a tour around the island.  We decided we wouldn't spend the day in the water, but enjoy watching others surfing!  We headed for the North Shore to watch the ENORMOUS waves!
At the beginning of our drive, our car stopped along the way and picked a few of the pretty Hawaiian flowers so we could enjoy them for the day!  I LOVE those flowers!  Here are the little Hawaiian ladies from our van!
We stopped at a place called Turtle Bay Resort first just to check out the beginning of the big waves!  It was a pretty place with lots of big rocks and huge waves crashing in.  We walked out on the rocks and enjoyed the waves for a little bit! 


While out on the rocks we found this cute little guy!
The shoreline was beautiful!  The trees and the rocks and the water are amazing to me!


Before going to far, our van stopped at a fruit stand!  SUPER DELICIOUS!  There were all sorts of fresh fruit and yummy meat on a stick!  We tried pretty much everything and loved it!
Brett enjoying his juicy pineapple!
These little fruits were so good!  I can't remember the name of them, but you peeled the red spiky shell off and ate the fruit inside!  It was delightful!
Next we were headed for the BIGGEST waves-known as the Banzai Pipeline-where all of the "super-good" surfers surf!  Talk about an amazing sight!  These waves are incredible and the pictures don't do them justice!  If you are ever in Hawaii, go here and watch for yourselves!  Some of us sat right along the edge and that is quite a view to watch this incredible sport and these gigantic waves!  There are a ton of people that sit and watch the surfers for hours!  We spent quite a bit of time there and LOVED it!  Here are the spectators!

Here are a bunch of the surfers:
Here are some of them riding the waves!





Here is a guy that came in after he crashed and broke his board!  When the surfers would come in they looked so hammered!  That water is so powerful!
After watching the surfers, we headed to one more beach where there were supposed to be sea turtles on the shore and watch the sunset.  Sure enough, we got there and saw two sea turtles...Olivia Dawn and Brutus!  They were enormous! 
We stayed there for awhile and enjoyed the scenery!  I loved how this place had the sand, the rocks, the waves, and the palm trees!
To top the day with a beautiful sunset!
Of course we have to have a little smooching along the way!  What a beautiful day!  What a cute husband!
Monday was our snorkeling day at Hanauma Bay.  This is a must if you go there!  It is a great place to snorkel!  I was a little nervous at first(I am not a good swimmer and I have only snorkeled one other time.)  Brett was good and stayed with me until I figured it out again and then off we went!  The bay had so many incredible fish to see in the water...and the highlight...we found a sea turtle and swam with it!  We loved it!  I am not so sure what the turtle thought about 12 Johnsons huddled around it oohhing and aauughhing over him, but we were all pretty excited!  Here is a picture of the bay as you are walking down to it!  GORGEOUS! (For those of you that don't know, the dark part is the coral and that is where all of the amazing fish are and the turtle!)
We enjoyed snorkeling and relaxing on the beach this day!
I think most of us got little naps in sometime during this day on the beach!  You couldn't help but just soak up the rays!  Another glimpse of the bay as we were heading out!

Grandpa enjoying a little time in the water! At the end of the day we thought we would try our luck at body surfing again!  WRONG!  The waves were bigger at the beach we had done it at a couple days earlier, but this didn't stop the boys...or so they thought!  They all wanted to try it and they all looked like a bunch of rag dolls getting tossed around in the water!  I think a few boards even snapped and a few handles broken!  But hey, they gave it a try and all of their wives thought they were going to die or injure themselves!  Just another memory to chuckle about!
Stay tuned to see what activity wrapped up this day in part 3 of our Hawaiian getaway!  (Don't worry, it is clean!)  I will also finish up our trip in part three~!  I know these are long posts so thanks for being patient, or if you aren't patient you aren't reading this part anyway!

3 comments:

Lacey and Zach said...

Tiff you guys look like you had a great time! I love your pics. It makes me want to go back to Hawaii. Too much fun!

Brooke Bailey said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm so glad you got to go!!!

Danyele said...

I'm so glad Brett choose to wear a swimming suit while in Hawaii! Maybe he's learned his lesson.