Thursday, January 19, 2012

This Wasn't on my BUCKET LIST!

Sunday night about midnight I was woken up by a horrilbe pain that was on my left side of my back all of the way around to my stomach.  My first thought was that I had slept wrong and had a pinched nerve or muscle or something.  I got up and went the bathroom and it would NOT go away!  I thought I was in labor...but, wait a minute...I wasn't pregnant!  And the pain was constant...wouldn't go away after a minute.  It was like someone was pinching my whole side as hard as they could. 
I tried not to panic and walked around my house for a few minutes...well, as good as I could walk.  I couldn't stand up straight.  I tried sitting.  I tried laying down again.  I tried walking around again.  I finally woke Brett up (after saying his name about 12 times)!  I told him something was wrong, and I didn't know what it was.  I didn't want him to worry too bad, but holy crap, it HURT!!!!!
We weren't sure what to do...it wasn't going away at all.  I knew it wasn't my appendix because they are on the right side...yeah, I narrowed it down!  haha!  I had no clue what it was!  I hadn't had any signs of anything before I went to bed.  He said he was taking me to the emergency room.  I am not big on that stuff.  At first I hesitated because I thought, "What if it's gas?  What if it's nothing and they laugh at me?  What if it is something big?  How will I take it?"  I stood there hunched over and agreed to let him after running to the bathroom and throwing up.  He called my parents as we were driving there to see if they would go stay with our kids.
Long story a little shorter...Emergency room...IV...CT scan...2 kinds of pain medicine through my IV (I guess Conner gets it from me-morphine did NOTHING for me!), trying to go the bathroom numerous times because the feeling wouldn't go away...heard the doctor say, "It's a kidney stone."
Slight relief to know what it was.  Still nervous to know I had to pass it.  The nurses just kept saying, "We are sorry.  We have heard those are really painful.  It is like passing a small stone through a thread."  That is reassuring (that is the part that causes all of the pain and the throwing up).
Needless to say, it was a long and painful night and next day, but at 7:30 Monday night I passed it! 
It was 4 millimeters long, just like they told me in the hospital.  It is amazing something that littel can cause such pain to your body.  We did learn that passing it isn't the painful part...the pain comes from when it is in the ureter tube (that is the thread-size tube).  As it makes its way through there into the bladder, that is when the pain and nausea come.  As soon as it gets into the bladder you feel relief and then it can take up to 24 hours to pass it. 
Nothing I want to experience again!  Now I will know if it happens again what the pain is.  (Sidenote-I was one of two people in the ER that night.  The other was a 38 year old lady that had one too.  They said that is the only thing that helps at first- to come in and get some medicine to take the edge off.)
Don't know why I got it.  We looked it up...some are caused by too much pop (I don't really drink a lot of pop), some are caused by calcium, some by citrus fruit, some hereditary.  I think I am going hereditary.  There are a lot of people in my extended family that have had the darn things!  Cheers to kidney stones!

9 comments:

Patty said...

What a night! Glad you're okay. I laughed when you said "Maybe I'm in labor."

The Foster Bunch said...

I am so sorry, it was funny as I started reading I got to your first sentence and thought it is a kidney stone. Those things are miserable. I am glad you passed it. I always know when I have one, at least now you will to!!

Sid and Kelli said...

Oh Tiffany I am so sorry that must have been awful. I have never experienced it but I heard it is equal to labor. At least at the end of labor you get a sweet little baby and not a little stone! Hope you are feeling ok.

Poulsen Family said...

I've heard of several people getting those lately. No fun. Hope you are feeling better!

voleen.blogspot.com said...

I read the first sentence I knew thats what was happening. I've had several. There's no pain like it. Talk to Uncle Brad he can tell you about them also. The last one I had was so large I couldn't pass it so I had to go in the hospital to have it removed.

Angie Robison said...

That's rotten. I have heard they really, really, hurt. Glad your OK!!

Lacey and Zach said...

Oh jeeze Tiff that is not good. I have never had those darn things but Jamie and Kade both get them really bad. So sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully you will not have to do that again. Glad you passed it and everything is good now.

weloveadoption said...

yikes that does not sound like fun. I hope I never have that happen. It does run in the family though. Glad everything is good now.

Emilee said...

Reading the first sentence I was afraid it was a stone. So sorry, not fun! Coy has had several, I'm lucky so far I've only had one. Knock on wood! Take care of yourself and stock up on pain meds!