Saturday, October 6, 2012

Historical General Conference

This morning's session of General Conference was a historical one as we heard President Monson speak.
He told us that now young men that are eligible and worthy can serve a full-time mission at the age of 18 (after graduation) and that sister missionaries may now serve at age 19.  As he shared this wonderful news with us, tears came to my eyes as the Holy Ghost bore witness to me of the importance of missionary work.  The tears kept coming as I looked over at my 13 1/2 year old son and thought of the opportunity he has ahead of him...and then the panic thought came of thinking of him leaving our home earlier than I thought!  That is soon!  Oh, but what a great blessing in the lives of these young people!  I KNOW completely that a mission will be a great blessing in his life and in the lives of his family!  What preparation these young men and women have as they order their lives in a manner to be worthy to serve their Heavenly Father!  They truly are a stronger generation, but they have to be with the evils that are in our world today! 
During that session my brother David texted me and said, "Now you only have 5 years til Conner serves a mission!  Crazy!"
And my reply: "Yes, I cried when they announced that!  Actually 4 years and 9 months!  Hard to believe!"
Then his reply, "Ya thats crazy.  Malorie could go in 7 too."
UUGGGGHHH!  Time is flying!  I am getting old!  My kids are growing fast!
Today we have Trever and Jaimie's kids while they took a quick trip to Logan.  During conference we got out a couple of tables and lots of puzzles and made a conference bingo for them while we listened.  They were all really good and listened pretty well. 
When they would get a bingo they got a little candy bar and then I asked them to write down or draw a picture of something they learned during this session.  This is one thing each of them learned:
Conner-"I get to go on a mission when I am 18."
Malorie-listen to good music, be careful on the internet, watch good movies
Kallie-boys can go on a mission when they are 18 and we should not listen to bad stuff
Bryce-I learned about Jesus.
I love having my family gathered in one room as we listen to conference.  I know not everything is heard and who knows how much each of us retains...especially the small kids, but I do hope that we remember the feelings we felt as we listened to the prophet and other leaders share things that can strengthen us and build our faith! 
A couple of things I learned this morning
#1. Elder Cook's talk:
  • Immersion in the scriptures can give us sprititual strength.
  • Are we prepared to meet God?
  • Health warnings are shared in society about the harmful things drugs and alcohol can do to our bodies, but society doesn't share the harmful things pornography and immorality can do to us.  Warnings about pornography and immorality MUST be taught in the home!  Parents must have the courage to stand up for their beliefs and share it with their kids.  Children must know their parents have testimonies. 
  • Our homes must be a place of refuge!
  • Take action to feel the spirit now!
#2. President Uchtdorf's talk: (my favorite talk this morning)
  • Resolve to spend more time with those we love.  Give our best "personal self" to those that matter most.  Spend time together!  Being "busy" is not what is important!
  • Resolve to become the person we are intended to be.  Good intentions are good, but we must take action and "do it"!  Doing it will bring blessings!  (The "doing it" part is different for each of us.  We all know the things we want to do better at.)
  • Resolve to be happy regardless of our circumstances.    External circumstances don't matter.  They don't bring us happiness.  WE DO MATTER!  We determine our happiness! 
  • Too often we focus on the finish line instead of focusing on the joy of the journey!  We shouldn't wait to be happy until we reach "some event".  Be happy today!  There is something in each day that can bring us joy and happiness.
  • Become better!  Don't take for granted one single day!  Don't wait until we are dying to live!
I loved this talk and it hit me hard!  I love to be happy!  Some days aren't the happiest, but we choose if we want to be happy or not.  It made me think a lot about blogs.  Sometimes we think people are "bragging" or only post "happy things".  I like to post happy things.  Those are the things I want to share with others and I always hope that they might just help one person.  Some people tend to view blogs as people having "perfect lives".  No one does, and we need to remember that, but our blogs can be a place to share positive and happy things with others.  Just because the "bad days" aren't shared doesn't mean they don't come.  We all have trials and opposition, but I agree with Elder Uchtdorf when he says that we can find something in each day that can bring us joy and happiness!  That is why I choose to share the joy that comes from being a family! 
That is the wonderful thing about blogs.  Each of us can share the things we feel we want to share-whether good or bad, happy or sad.  I have read some blogs that have strengthened my testimony through losing a loved one or another trial.  I read blogs that uplift and always make me smile and laugh.  I love reading about family members and what their families are doing.  I love to learn new ideas from others on parenting, homemaking, recipes, and other things I am interested in.  We each have different walks of lives and different things to share about our lives.  That is one blessing of knowing we are children of our Father in Heaven and not any two of us are exactly alike.
I love my family and I am grateful Heavenly Father put us in families to learn from one another and to have someone there when we do go through those hard times to help boost us up and strengthen us!  I know our Heavenly Father loves each of us and knows each of us personally and the things we struggle with.  He is always there to help us! 
And like it was said in conference today by Elder Nelson...if you have a question and you don't know the answers..."ASK THE MISSIONARIES!"  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is TRUE and I believe that whole-heartedly and if you want to know if it's true..."ASK THE MISSIONARIES"! :)
Between sessions we went outside and enjoyed some fresh air and took a walk.
Have a happy day! 
I am ready to listen to the next session of conference!

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Many tears for me as well as it was once agian confirmed to me that sending Cole to school this year was the right choice. The mission thing was my biggest hangup. Now he will be able to go the same time as all the other boys in his class instead of a year later!!