Sunday, April 5, 2009

Life Couldn't Be Better!

What a great week we have had and especially a great weekend as we were able to have General Conference and listen to our leaders. We had the opportunity to go to Salt Lake and take Conner and Malorie to a session of conference. We are pretty spoiled to have Brett's parents there on a mission and stay with them when we go down for conference. They are such great hosts! We got there on Friday and Justin and Natalie were so nice and offered to watch our kids while we went on a date. We went to IKEA ( a cool home furnishings store) and to dinner at Braza Grill (great Brazillian food)! I had two firsts this weekend...going to IKEA and Costco (that's right, I have never been to Costco; only to Sam's Club!) :)
We had a great time staying with Wayne and Dora. Ryan and Sheri and their kids came down too! We all spread out air mattresses and bunked at Grandpa and Grandma's for the weekend. Here is a little glimpse of our weekend:
Grandma in the kitchen! She is amazing and prepares great food when we go to visit. Her and Wayne are terrific parents and we love their example of serving a mission! Thanks again for letting us stay with you this weekend and for the fun Easter goodies and all of the yummy food!
Uncle Justin being "buddies" with Dillan and Bryce! Dillan had to warm up to Justin, but after a few tosses in the air they were great friends! We think you are great, Justin!
Going to the Saturday morning session of conference:
(Justin, Nat, Tyler, Conner, Parker, Malorie, Ryan, and Sheri)
(David, Heather, Brett, and me)
(This weekend, two of my brothers came down and spent some time with us at Johnsons and partook of "yummy" food!)
Me with my cute hunny! I sure love this man!
My favorite words I heard at this Saturday morning of conference:
  • Each temptation we overcome will strengthen us-not destroy us.
  • Our success is not from how strongly we are tempted, but how faithfully we resist it.
  • We live providently by living within our means. Be grateful for what we have and DO NOT COVET!
  • Two lessons Elder Hales learned: 1. I love you, but we can't afford it. 2. We can afford it, but do we really need it? Where could our money be best used?
  • Our Savior has overcome many things; we need to follow His example.
  • In our relationships with others, we should focus on things we have in common; not our differences!
  • Learn to recognize the voice of the Holy Ghost among the noise of the world.

All of conference was really good...these are notes I took at the session we attended.

The kids getting ready for conference to begin.
Justin and Nat:
David and Heather:
After conference, Dora wanted to take a picture of our families. Here is our Johnson family.
Here is the Ryan and Sheri Johnson family.
Other fun the kids had...watching Spy Kids on Grandpa and Grandma's bed:
Tyler washing off makeup after his brothers and cousins gave him a make-over! You are a good sport, Tyler!
Each year, our stake does a big Humanitarian project. Each ward makes quilts and collects stuff for Humanitarian kits and orphanage supplies. Jennie Miller and I were called to be the chairmen this year. Our Humanitarian night was this last Thursday. All of the wards in our stake bring the items they have made and gathered throughout the last year and we put the kits together and box everything to be taken to the Humanitarian Center. It is such a neat experience to see all of the things donated. Here are ladies looking at the quilts that were donated.
More quilts...
Stuff being brought for the kits...
The work beginning of the kits being put together! It is amazing to watch the ladies be busy as they put the kits together! It is like a great energy throughout the whole night. This was taken before we started and before all of the ladies got there.
It is amazing to see the talents of the ladies in our stake. Everyone uses their talents and then donates items. It truly is a work from our Heavenly Father. It not only blesses the lives of those that receive the items, but also those that donate their time and talents. Thank you to all that participated! Here is what our stake completed this year:
  • 195 newborn kits
  • 220 hygiene kits
  • 220 school kits
  • 216 quilts
  • 582 toys
  • 250 items of children's clothing
  • All sorts of orphanage supplies
  • File folder games for orphanages
  • Over 300 hats and scarves
  • 100 cans donated to our food bank
  • 13 boxes to Women's Crisis Center

What a great night we had to see such wonderful love and service from so many in our stake! Thanks again everyone!



9 comments:

Nat and Justin said...

Wow Tiff - I'm impressed - you are quick at gettin this post up! Glad you guys made it home safely. We had such a fun time with you guys this weekend and LOVED watching your kids. I miss them so much and it was fun to spend time with them. Hope we see you soon! We love you guys soooo much!

Diana said...

Your humanitarian project results are VERY impressive! Glad you had so much help and so many donations! I'm sure it feels good to have provided so much service. I'm glad you all had a great weekend together with conference! It was great to hear the messages from our leaders and to meet another new apostle. Great post!

Poulsen Family said...

Isn't Ikea fun?! Now that you've been to both, Costco or Sam's? Thanks for letting Christopher join in on your fun weekend with you!
P.S. Great job on the humanitarian project!

Dan & Brooke said...

I agree that it was an awesome weekend! I am so glad your kids were able to attend a conference session. It is so awesome to be there! My brother said they sat by you guys at the restaurant. Did you think it was awesome? I love it!

Anonymous said...

Looks like lots of fun. Wish we could have come and played too. That's awesome being able to take your kids to conference. Man your fast at posting. Did you just get home today?

johnandjana said...

I'm glad you had so much fun this weekend. I'm sure Wayne and Dora loved being with all of you. Conference was excellent. I even cried in some talks. I guess the spirit was really touching me. And, you did a super awesome job with the humanitarian. What will you do now? Pretty soon you will be out of 2 jobs! I guess it's time to relax a bit.

weloveadoption said...

I bet your kids loved Conference. That was probably fun for them and it looked like quite a few family members were there to join you. And the Humanitarian project looked like it was a big hit and something you are probably glad to be done with. Now you will have more time to scrapbook. See you in a few days. Do you have your pages ready?

Polly said...

Hey tiff! Hey Brett! So glad you found us! So fun reading your blog and seeing ALL your cute kids! I remember when we were just young, carefree students having our FIRST kids. How time flies. ;)

The Rigby Bunch said...

"I love you but we can't afford it!" What a great thing to remember! Humanitarian results, off the charts! Good job TIff and Jenny. The stake knew what they were doing when they chose you guys to be chairmen!