The last two years as I have set my goals for the year I have chosen a word as my theme for the year to help me with my goals. The last 2 years' words are here and here. I have enjoyed doing it this way, and I feel like I am more focused on my goals having a word to remember.
Many words came to mind this year. It took me all month to narrow it down! My word for this year is...drum roll, please...
In a declining world where Satan works so hard to WEAKEN us and break up families, we NEED to have the
to fight back! I love the word "STRENGTH" OR "STRENGTHEN" because to me it means to...
In the dictionary, it's meaning was defined as:
to grow stronger, make steadfast, to fortify, to protect, gain strength or courage, give new energy to, reinforce, increase in value, build up, invigorate, rejuvenate
I absolutely LOVED that! Such a positive word to use as a guiding light this year! There are 5 areas I want to STRENGTHEN in my life this year. I want to
- STRENGTHEN my testimony and relationship with my Heavenly Father and our Savior
Another word for "strength or strengthen" in the index in the scriptures is NOURISH. In 1st Nephi 17:3, it says, "if we keep the commandments God will STRENGTHEN us and provide a way for us to accomplish the things He commands us." Our theme for the youth this year is found in Moroni 10:32 which teaches us to "Come unto Christ...love Him with all your might, mind, and STRENGTH."
I think when we recognize we have to turn to Heavenly Father and our Savior and ask for their help, we are given the STRENGTH we need in every aspect of our lives especially the areas we struggle with. I want to make my prayers and scripture study more meaningful.
- STRENGTHEN my marriage and relationship with each of our kids
When we put our spouse first we can strengthen our marriage!
I love going on dates with Brett and spending time with him every day...even if it is a busy day and we only get the few minutes together talking in bed before both falling asleep. I love our marriage, but there is always room for improvement! When I see marriages struggle for different reasons, I love to think of this quote and try to use it in my own marriage:
I mean how could I not want to STRENGTHEN my marriage with this wonderful man that I get to spend FOREVER with?!
I want our kids to know how much we both treasure our marriage, and that it takes work from both of us to make it strong!
I am grateful for each of our kids. As each one grows we continue to see their different personalities and their different needs and struggles. As parents we have to be their constant in a crumbling world! They HAVE TO KNOW that we love them! We need to tell them often! I want to take more time for each of them and spend more one-on-one time with them!
I want them to remember the things they learned growing up in our home. I want them to feel love and respect in our family, and if they struggle I want them to feel they can talk to their parents and know we love them no matter what! I want them to gain strong testimonies for themselves so they have that anchor to lean on! One day they will have families of their own!
- STRENGTHEN the spirit in our home and make it a place safety and an inviting place for others
In the world there are many things that want our attention...so many things to entice us and to pull us away from the most important things!
I am grateful to be a stay-at-home mom! I treasure that role as a mother! I want to make our home a home of protection where everyone feels love as they enter its walls!
Strengthening this area will come as we have FHE, have family prayers and scripture study, where we take time for each other, and where we don't allow Satan's evil influences in! He can't enter unless we allow him in!
- STRENGTHEN myself physically
This one always seems to be on the list! It is a never-ending work!
I always feel so much better when I exercise and eat better! I have been studying the Word of Wisdom and want to gain strength as I try to eat better and exercise more!
- STRENGTHEN my relationships with extended family and friends
I am excited about this one too! I have made it a goal to study more about my ancestors (so if any of you have stories about them-please share with me)! My patriarchal blessing talks a lot about learning of them and their goals and desires and that they would become a STRENGTH to me!
I also want to try harder to love extended family members and friends by loving them the way Heavenly Father would and not judging. We all walk different paths and we never know what someone might be struggling with!
I want to be a better listener and hopefully be a STRENGTH for others!
In Philippians 4:13 it says, "I can do all things through Christ which STRENGTHENETH me."
This year I want to strive to become a better person and being the person Heavenly Father needs me to be! That is what life is about...not being PERFECT, but becoming BETTER!
I know there will always be struggles, but I love this quote:
and this one:
I hope my new word helps me BECOME BETTER and when I fall to get back up and go on. Those are the times I will become closer to our Savior! This is what life is really about:
This life is a test for each of us. Our goal should be to return to our Heavenly Father! He loves each of us and wants the best for each of us! May we all try to become a little better each day and focus on the things that matter most!
What are your goals this year? Or do you have a "WORD" theme? I would love you to share them with me!

















1 comment:
I love this! You do such a good job at studing and really finding out what you and your family should learn and do! Good luck with your goals.
Post a Comment