Our kids started school last week. There were a lot of emotions floating around our home. Emotions like excitement, anticipation, anxious, nervous, happy, scared, sadness(ok, that one was probably just me!), first-day jitters all wrapped in one! The night before NONE of them could get to sleep! It was like Christmas Eve...just wondering what the first day would bring...and some of them (Malorie and Kallie especially) excited to wear their new school clothes! I love that excitement that comes at the beginning of a new school year...excitement to see friends again, to meet new teachers, to wear new clothes and shoes, riding the school bus for the first time! It is a fun time! Plus, it is a time to get back to a daily routine that is always needed after a fun-filled summer with lots of craziness!
The kids were up and going with excitement...you could feel it in the air at our home! Brett offered to make a big breakfast while I helped the kids get ready and get hair done! I didn't turn that offer down! He is GREAT at making yummy breakfasts! Kids got ready and came outside for traditional 1st day of school pictures. Take a peak:
Conner-heading to 8th grade-better keep an eye on his sister and keep her safe! (My kids remind me quite often that next year he will be in high school and that Bryce will be in 1st grade! Don't remind me!)
Malorie-heading to 6th grade. First year of junior high and SUPER excited! She is excited to meet lots of new friends and teachers.
Kallie-heading to 2nd grade with Mrs. Brown as her teacher. She can't wait to get back on those monkey-bars at recess time!
Had to add a full length shot of Kallie. She loves sparkles and glitter! We found "sparkly" shoes too that she couldn't resist!
Bryce-heading off to KINDERGARTEN with Mrs. Thompson as his teacher! (Where did the time go? Isn't he supposed to still be little and stay home with Mom?)
*Just for the record, I didn't cry when I dropped him off at kindergarten. I came DARN close, had to bite my lip a few times, but I kept the tears inside! (I did cry the night Brett gave each of them their father's blessings for the new school year.)
I took these 4 cute kids to school on the first day. It is tradition. My mom used to take us to school and now I do the same.
Took the two younger kids first; went inside, got them to their classrooms and off to the junior high we went. I parked the car and Conner said, "You aren't coming in, are you?" I told him "yes, Malorie wants me to go in with her and help her get her stuff situated in her locker." I told him I wouldn't go in his side of the school. So out of the car he went and booked it across the grass to the 8th grade hall.
I went in with Malorie and helped her get her stuff organized. After getting it in her locker, we were talking with a group of her friends and helping them know where to go for 1st hour and what to take. While we were doing that, here walks a group of about twelve 8th grade boys down the 6th grade hall. You can just picture it...the oldest boys in the school strutting down the 6th grade hall. Don't know if they were checking out the new girls or wanting the new girls to see them! Haha! We watched them walk past Malorie and her friends and head to the end of the hall and into a classroom; Conner being one of those boys!
A minute later they started back down the hall. Conner was in the middle of the group. I told Malorie and her friends, "Watch this. I am going to embarrass Conner just a little!" They walk towards where we are standing and as soon as a few boys pass and Conner is approaching I run up to him and wrap my arms around him and say, "Oh Conner, I love you! Have fun at school!" He just smiles and shakes his head and his friends laugh! The girls were laughing harder though! (Just a side note...when he got home I asked him if I embarrassed him too much. He said "no" and said it made him and his friends laugh. I asked him what he and his friends were doing down the 6th grade hall. He said, "We were just going to say hi to Mrs. Mueller." Haha! RIGHT, Conner! We know what your intentions were! We all laughed about it! )
On the first day of school, Brett and I always leave the kids a treat for them to find when they get home. It is a fun way to leave our kids a little note to add to the excitement of the first day. This year we chose OREOS for each of them on their beds.
The 2nd day of school was a little harder for mom! I did get teary-eyed as I watched all 4 kids waiting for the bus and then watching all 4 of them get on! When it pulled away, I cried!
The tears were happy and sad! Happy to watch my kids grow and love their new phase of life! Their excitement radiates in all they do! Sad to see how fast time goes and hope and pray they will make good choices and stand for what is right as they face new challenges! You always hope as a parent you have taught them the things they need as they leave their home each day!
After the 2nd day of school, Bryce came home and ate lunch. He then wanted to watch a cartoon. He turned one on and I went in the other room to clean up lunch. I came back in and found him asleep! Getting up early and going to school will be a new adventure for him! He was worn out after two days of school! He slept for 2 hours.
School is going great so far for all of them! They are loving it! Brett and I discussed that we are moving into a new phase of parenting...all 4 kids in school, two in junior high. It is amazing what different phases of life bring into the mix of parenting and families. So many people have asked me what I plan to do now that all of my kids are in school. I want to continue being a stay-at-home mom for now. It is the best job I could have, and we feel it is the best thing for our family! With Bryce in kindergarten it is an adjustment, but not completely. He is out of school at 11:00 am. It gives me a few hours to myself in the morning to read scriptures, exercise, get a few things done around the house or errands ran, hopefully catch up on my blog, and then he is home! Kindergarten is a good transition for the child and the mom to adjust to!
Nothing could replace being at home with my kids. I love how they all come home at different times now and so I feel like I can have a little one-on-one with each of them where they can share the things that happened in their day while they were away at school! Hopefully it continues to be a good year for all of them!









2 comments:
Oh how I remember those days. Cherish them because they are gone in a flash. I can't believe how big they are all getting and how much fun you have ahead of you. Enjoy!
You even made me tear up reading this. It is crazy to think all your kids are so grown. I am worried about Lizzie growing up too fast and she is going to be going to school before I know it. Love your kids and hope all goes well for them this school year. I thought it was great hearing about Conner not wanting you to walk him into school and then to see him with his friends. Pretty funny kid!
Post a Comment