Anyway, we started this a few months ago and set up reading charts for each of us with little rewards along the way. For example, after 10 days of consecutive reading you get a candybar, 20 days a candybar, 30 days a king-size candybar, 50 days a blizzard, 75 days a new book or scripture stickers...If you miss a day you have to start all over; which everyone agreed was fair. (I found the idea from the ensign when Elder Eyring's family did this in their family. Their 8 year old (at the time) read 466 days of consecutive reading.)
Okay, so there is a little background. So our family has been doing this and been doing pretty well. Our kids have been very enthusiastic about it. At first it was hard for each of us to get more than 10 days in a row without missing one and having to start over. (We went through a lot of candybars at the beginning!) Our whole goal is not to see who "WINS" or who gets the farthest, but to encourage each other and remind each other of scripture reading and to gain a habit of loving to read our scriptures. The last few months our kids have been doing really well. Kallie, Malorie, and Conner had all reached 50 days at different times and were able to get their blizzards.
Sunday morning I was getting ready for church and Malorie said, "Guess what, Mom!"
"What?", I said.
Malorie-"I forgot to read my scriptures yesterday and today I would have been at 75 days!"
My first reaction in my head is "oh,no! She has worked so hard to get to this far! I should just tell her it is okay-she worked hard and she didn't feel good last night. Let's just not tell anyone and you will be okay!" Then as soon as I thought that, this thought came to me-"Teach them correct principles!" I haven't had a thought so strong like that come to me so quickly. So instead I turned and said to her, "I am sorry honey! You have worked so hard, but the most important thing is that you were honest. It is better to be honest than for us to cover it up and for you to know inside that you really missed a day. Mom appreciates your honesty!"

It didn't make it any easier, but I am so thankful for the Holy Ghost in helping guide us as parents. I know she had worked hard, but being honest was the most important thing. I realized Heavenly Father helps us as parents to teach our kids correct principles. It is something I always pray that I can do, but what if I would have just told her it was okay? I know it may not have been a big thing now, but down the road it could have been in another experience in her life. I know in my heart she will remember this incident as a learning point and so will I. I hope it will help her remember to always be honest. She will be blessed for doing that in all things. It is not easy to have to tell her she has to start over, but I know she can get there again! She is a hard worker and really beginning to love to read her Book of Mormon! I am so thankful for that still small voice that taught me a lesson too! I am grateful Heavenly Father has given us the Holy Ghost to help us-especially as parents!
4 comments:
Malorie, what a sweet heart in being honest.That just goes to shows your countenance in your sweet face. I was just reading this this morning. Those being dishonest,somthing within them dies.Conscience chokes, Character withers,self-respect vanishes, integrity dies. How cheaply some men and women sell their good names.
What a sweet example you and Brett are in raising your family. It has been so evident to me the young families that are teaching their children. I have been constantly amazed the knowledge that the children have that are being taught in their homes. Love to you all.
I really loved and appreciated this story and the wonderful example you guys are to your family, the ward, and to us! It gave me a great idea and excitement for when Addy gets older. I might even try this with Dan and I now! :) Thanks, Tiff.
Thanks for posting this! I have been trying to think of a way to get my girls to read on their own!
Post a Comment