Thursday, September 23, 2010

Qualities that are Important!

I need a little help from everyone.  I am working on my personal progress as a leader.  I am combining a couple of the requirements together and opening it up for discussion!  It says to discuss these questions with mothers and grandmothers and I thought, "Why not put it on the blog and let any lady (or man) share their opinion on these two questions.  I would love to hear what you think~!
It says to read Alma 56:45-48 and 57:21.  It is talking about Helaman's stripling warriors and the things their mothers taught them.  It also says to review the proclamation on the family.  I have done these two things and now I need your help! 
Two questions (they are sort of similar):
1.  What qualities does a woman need in order to teach children to have faith and to base their decisions on gospel truths?
2.  What do you think are important attributes for being a mother?
Share away!!!  Thanks for your input!

5 comments:

Debi and Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debi and Craig said...

I would say she has to have Faith and Charity. Kids learn best by example and they can see first hand when their Mother shows faith in every day things but most important during adversity. All Mothers should be Charitable just simply by being a Mom but at the same time doing service for others. Doing service for even those not in the Family is a great way to also show Christ like qualities. Does any of that make sense??

Team Hanni said...

How awesome! I am working on my Personal Progress with our YW as well. I am working on the Faith Value experiences too. Perfect timing Tiff!!!

1. I love the scripture Alma 57:21 -Yea, and they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness; yea, and even according to their faith it was done unto them; and I did remember the words which they said unto me that their mothers had taught them.

What qualities does a mother need so that her children will have faith and base decisions on gospel truths?

I want my children to say they remember the words and actions I taught them...

*Daily teaching by example.
*Daily teaching from the scriptures.
*Daily prayers with your children and on your own for them.
*I want them to know how much I love being in the temple.
*I want them to know that there is joy in obedience, and being obedient is the way we show our Heavenly Father how grateful we are for all he has blessed us with.
*I want them to find joy in serving and helping others.

2. Best attributes of a mother: Being calm, patient, loving, fun, and strong.

You are so great Tiff!

Harris Family said...

Time. I don't know if this is a quality or not; however, I've been thinking a lot about that lately. There are so many things in my daily life that are "not worthy of a mother's time". I feel that Satan knows the place to attack the family is to keep the mom busy doing unecessary things. We are afterall the glue that holds the family together. (Wouldn't you love to meet the 2000 stripling warrior moms?)

Brett and Tiffany said...

Thank you for your comments! I loved reading all of them. There are so many great mothers that I admire. One attribute that I am noticing as my kids get older is to be a good listener. Sometimes our kids need us to just be there and LISTEN; not talk, just LISTEN to them and to care about THEM and not just say, "MMMhhhmmm" and nod our head "yes". We need to take time for them and sometimes not rattle off the things we want them to do when they get home from school or tell them how busy we are, but LISTEN to them! This attribute can be used with everyone we encounter. It is nice to be with someone that can listen and not just talk about themselves.