Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Conference quotes I loved!

Two of my favorite times of year are general conference weekends...one in the spring and one in the fall?  My 3 reasons are:
1. Time with my family in our home as we gather together and listen to our prophet and other leaders speak.
2. Time to gain inspiration on what I need to be doing in my life as a wife and mother and a daughter of God.
3. While I listen I put together a puzzle (usually a 1000 piece) while I take notes of the talks.  It is relaxing to me to do this and it keeps me awake through all of the sessions.  My kids love this tradition too and we usually have multiple puzzles going at once as we listen.
For those of you not familiar with what general conference is you can find it here and learn more about it and read any of the talks that look interesting to you.
A wonderful part about conference is this:
Everyone gets something different out of conference!  I love the Holy Ghost for that reason!  He speaks to our hearts the things we need to know in our individual lives!  I love the gospel and I know that is where true, everlasting HAPPINESS is found!
Below are little quotes that really stuck out to me at conference:
President Monson in the General Relief Society meeting: "Remember PRAYER when we feel alone or when fear overtakes faith."
Carole Stephens: "Do I embrace my roles as a mother and wife in my home?  God will keep his promises to me as I honor my covenants to him."
Edward Dube: "Accept all callings in GLADNESS!  It's not WHERE you serve, but HOW you serve!"
Elder David Bednar: "A GRATEFUL person is often content!  Simplicity is the Lord's way!"
President Uchtdorf: "First doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith!"
Elder Boyd K. Packer: "The safe place to raise children is in a gospel-centered home.  The SCRIPTURES hold the keys to spiritual protection!"
Probably one of my favorite talks was given by Todd D. Christofferson about women.  This is one I want to read over and over.  He quoted one of my favorite quotes:
“Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.”
This quote was given by one of the former general young women presidents.  They each had remarkable quotes and can be found here.
Timothy Dyches: "Healing begins with faith.  Healing can be anything physical or spiritual.  Opposition strengthens our will and refines our choices.  We are healed by abandoning old ways."
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: "Never lose the faith you have.  God always loves you...no matter if you deserve it or not!  Hope is NEVER lost!"
Elder M. Russell Ballard: "Reach out to someone before Christmas!  It's impossible to fail when we are on the Lord's errand.  The timing might not be right, but it may soften their hearts."
President Eyring: "We may be insignificant in our own eyes or other's eyes but not in Heavenly Father's eyes."
Elder Dallin H. Oaks: "What is our ultimate priority? It should be to love God and keep His commandments. If we put other priorities first we are in danger of worshiping "other gods" first.  Man's laws can not make moral God's laws that are immoral.  Don't let temporal challenges make us forget our eternal perspective."
Bonnie Oscarsen: "The decisions you make daily will have eternal consequences."
Richard Mades: "You must become the rock the river can not wash away!"
Elder Richard G. Scott: "We have to "bury our weapons" to help us be strong.  If we dig them up we may go back to our old ways." (Loved this whole talk-must reread!)
President Monson: When speaking of his dear wife that has passed on he said: "The thing that sustains me is my testimony!  Shall I falter or shall I finish?  Finishing requires endurance."
David McKonkie: "Before we can teach we have to know His words.  You can not expect the Holy Ghost to help you remember things you haven't studied!"
Terence Vinson: "Which category am I in?  Moving closer to the Lord or moving farther away?"
Elder Russell M. Nelson: "Decisions determine destiny!  You are never too young to learn and never too old to change!  Permanent change can only come through the atonement of Jesus Christ!"

There were so many more!  I can't wait for the November Ensign so I can read the messages again!  What was your favorite talk or quote?  Please share!  I love to see the different things people learned from conference!  If you missed it, take time to read it!  It was wonderful!

1 comment:

Patty said...

I love reading your blog. It's always uplifting and motivational. You have a great and firm testimony.